2 Hour Burial at Sea: Here’s how it works
We will have an initial conversation with a designated family member to review all the details of your scattering of ashes at sea and relay specific directions to the marina for you and your guests.
- We gather about 20 minutes prior to departure time for guest check-in and boarding.
- Upon departure, crew will serve soft drinks and water for guests while we motor out of the marina.
- We sail to a location off Point Loma, generally within three miles of the harbor.
- Flowers for scattering during the memorial service are provided
- We also provide a ceramic urn, 2 1/2 feet tall, which is a replica lighthouse. If you have a salt urn or otherwise compostable urn you are welcome to use your own.
- Once we arrive at the designated area permissible for scattering, you have about 20 minutes for your memorial service. We can provide an officiant if you like.
- We ring the ships bell eight times, signifying last watch and we circle the ashes completing the circle of life and giving you time to reflect as the ashes float out to sea.
- You will receive a commemorative post card with the longitude and latitude of your scattering.
- Additional sailing time is available for your celebration of life, which can include snacks, lunch and adult beverages.
- 15% Crew Gratuities are customary based on crew service. Tips are appreciated, but not mandatory.
Please bring your California Burial Permit with you. If your loved one was cremated out of state, a California Burial Permit must be obtained. For information on how to obtain one click here VS-9 Burial Permit.
Sail JADA Charters cremated remains disposer license is #950. We will record your scattering permit with vital records within a week after your cruise.